Are you struggling to finish your book due to writer’s block? Don’t worry; it’s a common problem that many writers face. In this blog post, we’ll share five practical tips to help you overcome writer’s block and complete your book.
First, we need to understand what writer’s block is, and also what it isn’t. Writer’s block as most think of it isn’t a real thing, meaning it’s only our mind preventing us from taking action, not an external source. This block usually stems from our fears that develop as we write our books, which erode our confidence. If we learn to reveal and overcome these fears earlier in the process, we’ll bolster our confidence and avoid getting bogged down by writer’s block.
Tips for Overcoming Writer’s Block:
1. Don’t future trip: Sometimes, the best way to overcome writer’s block is to not think into the future. Don’t worry about the “what ifs.” Don’t worry about reviews or what readers will think; those things are out of your control. Instead, stay focused on what you can control. Focus on the tasks of an author.
2. Set small goals and reward yourself: Setting small goals and rewarding yourself can help you stay motivated and focused. For example, you could set a goal to write 500 words a day and reward yourself with a piece of chocolate or a cup of tea once you’ve reached your goal.
3. Write in a different location or at a different time of day: Changing your writing environment or schedule can help you climb out of a writing rut. Try writing in a coffee shop or library, or write at a different time of day when you’re feeling more creative.
4. Get feedback from others: Sometimes, getting feedback from others can help you see your writing in a new way. Join a writing group or share your work with a trusted friend or family member to get their feedback and suggestions.
5. Use prompts or writing exercises: Using prompts or writing exercises can help you spark new ideas and get unstuck. Look for writing prompts online or in books, or try an exercise like writing a letter to your future self.
Tips for Finishing Your Book:
Visualize your book: Organizing your story can help you stay on track. Having a clear map of where you are going and creating prompts for each day will help you stay focused.
Set a deadline: Setting a deadline can help you stay motivated and accountable. Set a realistic deadline for when you want to finish your book and lay out a plan to work toward it every day.
Stay motivated and consistent: Writing a book is a marathon, not a sprint. Stay motivated and consistent by setting small goals and celebrating your progress.
Remember why you started writing: When you’re feeling stuck or overwhelmed, take a moment to remember why you started writing in the first place. Whether it’s a passion for storytelling or a desire to share your experiences with others, reconnecting with your purpose can help you stay motivated and focused.
Get support from others: Writing a book can be a lonely journey, but it doesn’t have to be. Join a writing group, attend writing conferences, or connect with other writers online to get support, feedback, and encouragement.
Remember, overcoming writer’s block and finishing your book takes time, patience, and persistence. Use these tips to help you stay focused and motivated, and don’t be afraid to reach out for support when you need it. Happy writing!
“Authors Who Lead” is a company dedicated to helping writers become leaders in their field through training and coaching. For more information, visit our website at https://authorswholead.com.